Thursday, July 30, 2009

Day 46: McPhee Reservoir, CO to Blanding, UT, or "I thought we were supposed to be in the desert!"

Miles today: 71. So, we were welcomed to Utah with another hail storm... not very desert-like. I'm sure I'll be wishing for rain in a couple days, but for now I'm really sick of hail and headwinds. Bring on the dry heat! Holed up in Monticello for a little while to wait out the storm. Did some laundry (which provided for one of the most satisfying experiences: a clean sleeping bag!), had coffee to warm up and wrote some postcards. On our way out of town we stopped at a grocery, and as I made my way around a cute little motormouth boy shopping with his mother, he says to her loudly, "Mom, she's a little lady! That's a little lady, Mom!" Hearing little kids talk to their parents about me when they don't think I can't hear them has become one of my favorite things. Managed to make it a little farther to just before Blanding, where we found the most perfect little secluded place to camp next to a reservoir, and made the first (yes, first!) campfire of the trip. Don't know how much cell service I'll be getting through Utah and Nevada, so the morning coffee readers may be disappointed a little more frequently... Sorry in advance, guys. I'll do what I can.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry Mal, it may be tough not to here about new adventures when your not available but if I need a coffee reading fix I'll start reading your blob again until you catch-up. Your doing great, (Now here comes the Uncle stuff), Be safe, take care, Love Ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are a behind you Mal. Your blog gets read aloud to 20+ people several times a day. I'm betting on you sweetie! Uncle TJ

    ReplyDelete