Monday, July 20, 2009

Day 36: Sheridan Lake, CO to Ordway, CO.

Miles today: 91.

Eastern Colorado may as well be Kansas in terms of scenery, town size, and services available (or not). More nothing on the sides of the roads and long stretches between tiny towns with everything closed. Met 5 other riders, all from Washington state but not all traveling together, which makes the count 75.

Best part of the day was second lunch/first dinner/whatever you want to call it on some railroad tracks in the middle of nowhere: beautiful light coming through the clouds and empty cars on the tracks that stretched for miles. Sunflowers grow all over the roadsides here and thousands of grasshoppers scatter if you step into the tall grass.

Camping tonight in another city park after being pulled over by the sheriff whose office we were trying to locate; he said my rear reflectors were not visible enough to him, but the two big (and very shiny) reflective spots on my rear bags plus the standard red one on the rear rack kinda makes me suspect he was either really enthusiastic or just bored. We received a "verbal warning" and directions to the park, and are now listening to the youth of Ordway finding ways to entertain themselves on this Sunday night in the summer. Most of it seems to involve walking through the park drunk and talking more loudly than they need to, but tired as I am, I'm thinking this won't really be too much of a problem. Pueblo and Denver tomorrow, meeting up with Will, and giving my sore hands and knees some needed rest with a short 50-mile day.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Lover,

    Ma and I were reading your blog and she looked over at me and said, "Shivani you should have gone with MAL, you could have biked with her." I looked back at her and said, "Ma! where's my bike? Where's my gear? Where's my money? Where's my leg power?" She burst out laughing and said, "So that's why you wouldn't have done it," Sighing from laughing so hard at the sight of my small calves she then stated simple, "Well you could have followed her on a scooter!

    Thinking of you and hope your doing awesome sweetie!
    Shivs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... oh Shivani, it would have been even more fun to have you along, my love. Even on a scooter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow sis, you are so far!! good luck, be safe, and have fun the rest of your trip! oh and say hi to schwilliam for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Go Mal. Kicking butt across the continent! Had to let you know, I was in our little hometown grocery store tonight and thought of you when I saw the Ale 81 on the shelf. If you ever have a craving let me know. Apparently there is a market for it outside of KY:) Have a great time! Be safe!

    ReplyDelete