Sunday, July 19, 2009

Day 35: Dighton, KS to Sheridan Lake, CO.

Miles today: 104.

So we've finally made it out of Kansas and I must say I'm not sad to see it go. We're in a new time zone and have the Rockies coming right up! Had about the worst Mexican food in the country today: in case you've been looking for it, it's in Scott City, Kansas. Really abysmally bad. Met a solo female rider today on the road, which I didn't expect to happen at all and was kinda cool to see. Staying tonight in a "hostel" in a town with a population of 66. It's basically a tiny empty house with (very) tricky plumbing, but it does have electrical outlets, a shower, and a washer and dryer, which at this point in my life may as well be paradise. Oh, and apparently it comes with dead bugs in the carpet. We found some souvenirs that Danny and Greg left behind when they stayed here last night- the towns are so few and far between that there aren't many options in the way of nightly destinations, and we've been staying in the same places as they did the previous night since the rest day in Pittsburg. Off to bed; here's hoping I'm not either devoured by bugs or drowned by the faulty plumbing here in Paradise.

4 comments:

  1. Got your card! So - you are in Colorado. Guess I will cross Kansas off of my bucket list.
    Hope you survived both the bugs and the plumbing last night!
    Love,
    GMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hope you two didn't make it all the way to CO just to be done in by bugs and bad plumbing! Or bad Mexican food for that matter. Keep on pedalin' - watch out Rockies here they come! Be safe (just doin' the aunt thing) Love Ya :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom Mom and Pop PopJuly 19, 2009 at 12:56 PM

    You seem to be moving pretty fast. Are you sure you arn't taking the bus! Glad the trip is exciting and you are meeting somany nice people. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey mal and lou, I would highly suggest the simple hostel and lodge in Salida,CO it a good jumping off pooint for tackleing monarch pass the next day. Kitchen, showers, beds, internet all for about $25. enjoy the flats while you can! thanks for the postcard, you are way better than me, I didn't mail any to anyone. I'm such a bad traveler.
    almost to the continental divide. great job:)
    peace dave.

    ReplyDelete