Thursday, July 16, 2009

Day 32: Toronto, KS to Newton, KS.

Miles today: 100.
Total miles: 2021.

Second century in a row and we broke 2000 miles! Today Kansas actually showed me some redeeming qualities. Had three meals in three different cafes with three different exceptionally nice ladies serving us. Scattered thunderstorms rained on us off and on all day, but at least the heat index was only 86 instead of yesterday's 110ish! The sky was actually really beautiful today. Clouds filtering the sunlight muted the colors of the open fields, which made for some amazing scenery, and it was interesting to be able to see the storms for miles over the flat Kansas terrain. I also got to enjoy a lot of one of my new favorite activities: passing by a field full of cows and seeing how many I can get to maintain eye contact with me until I've passed. I'm sure none of you know what I'm talking about, but it really is funny to see 30 heads slowly turning in unison to follow me. Super tired again and sleep is long overdue! Here's hoping tomorrow is as beautiful as today was...

3 comments:

  1. say hi to dorothy and the wicked witch for me!

    and ps you are the weirdest sister i have ever had, making eye contact with cows?, i mean really..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mal, finally found your blog thanks to your dad. I will watching you daily. I am going to to go back and catch up on you from day one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I also got to enjoy a lot of one of my new favorite activities: passing by a field full of cows and seeing how many I can get to maintain eye contact with me until I've passed."

    here I thought you were all grown up and cool Mal, biking across the country.... nope, def still the same Mal I knew in 9th grade. And I say that with nothing but love in my heart. :)

    Chi

    ReplyDelete