Saturday, June 27, 2009

Day 14: Rosedale, VA to Elkhorn City, KY.

Miles today: 50.

More climbing today. Was chased by the first actually vicious dog, and this was before we even got into Kentucky! As soon as we rode past (up a hill, of course), the dog was viciously barking and biting my back tire. The best part: his owner was literally watching this whole thing happen, and was ignoring me asking him to call off his stupid dog. If I hadn't been so petrified with irrational fear it would have been very satisfying to mace that dog right in the face with his owner watching... but I didn't. Probably a good thing. Obviously I survived, but that one was not fun. Other than the dog drama, we met THREE new cyclists: Greg from Connecticut, bound for San Francisco as well, and Andy and Caleb, eastbounders who go to school in Knoxville. Greg fell in with us for the day, and the four of us including Danny are camping by a river in a formerly important railroad town a few miles from the state line. Got invited to a party by one of the locals, but we're too worn out to think about such things; it's bedtime.

3 comments:

  1. Good morning Mallory and Lou. Sitting in Ocean Isle having my coffee reading about you and how much I miss seeing you. I missed seeing you in the pool last night and seeing you on the jet ski's. Pop-Pop and I caught flounder last night. Uncle Phil was skunked as usual. Keep on truckin' you're doing GREAT!!

    Uncle Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're over the big hills. Hope your trip through Kentucky is as enjoyable as Virginia. I'm proud of you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you're in Kentucky finally. Hope the going gets a bit easier now, I'm sure it will. CARE package is heading to General Delivery in Berea, KY. The post office lady there when I called said they get lots of packages for bikers because of the proximity to the Trail. She told me to mark it "Hold for Biker" Haha

    ReplyDelete